Hollandia was established in 1928 as a subsidiary of Amsterdamse Ballast Maatschappij. P.J. Lubbers, CEO since 1930, took over the company in 1955, via a management buy-out. Since 1977 several take overs and mergers took place with Kloos Kinderdijk, Bailey Nieuw Lekkerland, ZNS-companies Fijnaart, Grimbergen Alphen aan den Rijn and Kalmar (Nelcon) Rotterdam. In 2005, Hollandia’s associate companies Bailey and Grimbergen came together with Hollandia under a single roof at the former Van der Giessen-De Noord site at Krimpen aan den IJssel. In 2008, Hollandia and ZNS fully integrated to form Hollandia, with its head office at Krimpen aan den IJssel and with a branch office at Heijningen in the south of the Netherlands.
In 2010, Hollandia decided to make structural changes. Business Units were formed, with the aim of having a bigger focus on the various markets, with short internal lines and a more efficient approach. The various Business Units continued as independent private limited companies (so-called BVs) on 1 January 2014. Hollandia became a strong alliance of multiple independently operating business units from Krimpen aan den IJssel and Heiningen.